European project Tomax on the home straight
Final straight before the finish line for the three-year Tomax project!
Toolless Manufacturing of Complex Structures (and geometries with efficient use of materials) is a European H2020 industrial project addressing lithography-based additive manufacturing technologies, also referred to as L-AMT. This European Commission Programme for Research and Innovation project brings together a consortium of ten partners, predominantly SMEs, industries and universities. Starting early 2015 and ending late 2017, the project is now entering its final phase and beginning to fulfil its two main objectives, which are:
- Developing high throughput and outstanding energy and material-efficiency 3D printers capable of producing complex geometry ceramics for aerospace engineering, energy-efficient lighting applications and medical devices;
- Providing the European Factories of the Future research association (EFFRA) with innovative, high performance and energy-efficient manufacturing technologies.
Partners (see picture below) are on the starting blocks, all set to:
- Deliver 75% more material-efficient methods (compared to traditional manufacturing);
- Deliver 25% more material-efficient solutions (compared to current AMT approaches) thanks to computational modelling (optimized geometries) and recyclable wash-away supports;
- Deliver 35% more energy-efficient methods (compared to current AMT approaches) thanks to the development of 50% faster thermal processing procedures;
- Incorporate recycling, for the first time in the L-AMT of engineering ceramics.
Composition of the team on the « athletic track »:
- Cycleco SAS, France / Consulting firm
- Deskartes OY, Finland / Solutions provider
- International Syalons Ltd, UK / Producer
- In-Vision Digital Imaging GmbH, Austria / Design house
- Lithoz GmbH, Austria / Solutions provider
- Osram AG, Germany / Manufacturer
- R2M Solution S.r.l., Italy / Consulting firm
- Rauschert Heinersdorf Pressing GmbH, Germany / Manufacturer
- Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain / University
- Vienna University of Technology, Austria / University